Saturday 13 June 2015

Titchfield & Pagham Harbour - Sat 13 Jun

I found myself with some unexpected time on my hands today as due to a few last minute changes at work I didn't need to spend the morning in the office. So as I had not had the opportunity to twitch a long-staying American wader in Hampshire I headed off fairly early and made for Titchfield, just to the east of Southampton. Having printed maps I managed to find the small car park on Bridge Street and then take the mile walk south along the canal to view an area known as Posbrook Floods. Having passed a few birders who had already seen the target I had the necessary information and before long I was watching an adult Greater Yellowlegs through my scope. Result! It was a little too far away to get any pictures, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway!
 

There was very little else about, a flock of seventy Black-tailed Godwits was about it so I set off for my second port of call.
Leaving Titchfield and re-joining the M27 I headed east in to Sussex and after about an hour arrived at the small village of Church Norton just to the south of Chichester. I was able to park in the small car park near the church and take a short walk out to view Pagham Harbour.
I joined the dozen or so birders present but the second mega rare American wader of the day had gone AWOL. However, over the next two hours I was lucky enough to see the Hudsonian Whimbrel a couple of times in flight, including one really good prolonged view. I also had a couple of distant views of the bird on the deck. Also present in the harbour at least three "normal" Whimbrel and a few Curlew. I also picked up my first Ringed Plover of the year! A singing Cuckoo was also noted.
I had promised to be home by 2pm so at 11:30am I had to set off for home, but I had managed to get two cracking rare waders, I can't remember the last time I had two life ticks in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment