Monday 22 February 2016

Ham Wall RSPB & Westhay - Sun 21 Feb

An afternoon out today and I ventured up to the Somerset Levels, or Avalon Marshes as they seem to be called nowadays, and enjoyed a pleasant stroll at ham Wall RSPB. A walk out to the second viewing platform and back produced the expected wintering duck and a pair of Marsh Harriers.
As I returned to the car I took a diversion to the new "island" hide where I jammed in by seeing the Glossy Ibis which has been over-wintering in the area. A real stroke of luck as I know the bird has been elusive. I had good views of the Glossy Ibis on the deck, though partially obscured by reeds, before it took flight, passed in front of the hide and was lost to view. Excellent stuff!
I took a detour on the way home, going via Westhay and it didn't take me too long to find the field of egrets that had been attracting local birders. Amongst the many Little Egrets (a conservative count of at least forty birds) I found a Great White Egret and with a little help from another birder also connected with the Cattle Egret that had been in the area for a while. A good end to a great afternoon out.

No comments:

Post a Comment