Wednesday 31 August 2016

Sutton Bingham - Wed 31 Aug

A bit of time available before work so I popped in to the reservoir and headed straight for the southern end to see if anything was about on the mud. Setting up the scope I counted six Common Sandpipers and a single Green Sandpiper along with five Teal. A fair number of Mallards were also gathered with around one hundred birds present. It was encouraging to see three Little Grebes (I have a feeling they have bred on site this year) and a total of four Little Egrets were noted.
Just as I was getting ready to head off to work I heard a wader call and the Green Sandpiper had taken to air, why? An Osprey was flying in from the south and it passed over my head towards the northern end of the reservoir, result! It soon came back to the southern end and I enjoyed watching it for several minutes before it drifted off south-west and was lost to view behind some trees.
A Raven was perched on one of the pylons and the Shelduck was still on the northern causeway.
Sutton Bingham year list 2016 now at 108 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment