Thursday 4 August 2016

Sutton Bingham - Thu 4 Aug

It's been really quiet at Sutton Bingham for about a week with the only highlight being a Peregrine that was present on a pylon at the southern end yesterday. But the thing is with a local patch you persevere so I popped in before work this morning anyway, though expectations were low. Nothing from the northern causeway so I thought I'd have a quick look from the dam. A Common Sandpiper was seen from the Fishing Lodge and as I walked along the dam I bumped in to the warden and after a quick chat I headed back towards the car.
Another Common Sandpiper popped up and then I could not believe my eyes as a summer-plumaged Spotted Sandpiper flew in and landed on a buoy right in front of me. Brilliant views, and then panic as I realised I'd left my phone in the car...so no chance for a photo. I ran back to get it and just as I got back to my scope the bird flew! What followed was a manic half an hour trying to relocate the bird, which I eventually did but it was really flighty so I was unable to get a photo. There were four Common Sandpipers also present this morning, all of which were fairly obliging, shame the Spotted Sandpiper did come close enough to me when I actually had my phone, but that's a valuable lesson learnt!
A return visit on my way home from work failed to produce the Spotted Sandpiper, it had not been seen since 2pm (and wasn't seen again before dark apparently). I did note a couple of Little Egrets and more surprisingly, two Swifts flew over.

No comments:

Post a Comment