Tuesday 6 September 2022

Sutton Bingham - Mon 5 Sep

In what was likely to be my last early morning visit for a while I didn't really check the northern end due to time constraints so made straight for the southern end where I noticed two egrets on the far bank and one smaller than a Little Egret! Sure enough, on closer inspection I had found a Cattle Egret. I managed to grab a few record shots before it took off, gained height and headed north. Unfortunately it was not seen again.
This is now my third Cattle Egret at Sutton Bingham in the last three years. With numbers increasing in Somerset it's almost at the stage that one would expect to see one over the course of the year, but that being said it's still great to see one on patch.
A return visit in the evening was also rather productive with a nice mix of waders at the southern end, mainly those that were present yesterday, with two Dunlin, two Black-tailed Godwits, four Ringed Plover, six Little Ringed Plover and four Common Sandpipers.
West Pool held a female Shoveler which had dropped in during the course of the day.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2022 now at 118 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment