Tuesday 6 September 2022

Sutton Bingham - Sat 3 Sep

A busy day today but I did manage to get to the reservoir mid-afternoon for a good look around for an hour or so. The Black-tailed Godwit was still frequenting West Pool but not much else on show at that end of the reservoir so I headed to the southern end to check that out. A juvenile Peregrine caused a bit of a stir as it drifted through whilst on the mud there were three Little Ringed Plovers...it was amazing how inconspicuous they became when the Peregrine flew by as they hunkered down and merged with the ground.
I then decided I'd take a quick look around Cotton Bridge and as it happens this turned out to be a good decisions as I found a female Redstart flitting along the fence line. To my surprise there were also five Whinchats and two Spotted Flycatchers on the same fence, and then, amazingly, I found a male Redstart.
Unfortunately I only had my bins with me having left my scope in the car so this was the best I could manage of the moulting male Redstart.
I've only seen three Redstarts at Sutton Bingham before today of what is a very scarce bird on patch, so two in one day (and just a few days after Ash found one - that I missed) shows that you can never guess what is going to turn up.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2022 now at 117 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment