Sunday 26 September 2010

Chard Reservoir & Chard Junction NR - Sun 26 Sep

After a fairly uninspiring Singapore Grand Prix I felt that I really ought to get out and about and headed west for a visit to Chard Reservoir. I walked straight out to the hide, only to find it locked! However, after a quick call to Andy (a Chard birder and close friend) I had the combination and was sat in the hide. Scanning across the reservoir there was not a huge amount around, though I did pick out a Common Snipe and a Little Egret. There were about a dozen Teal present and a Grey Wagtail showed extremely well as it fed along the water's edge directly under the hide:

With little else about I decided to try and find the recently formed Nature Reserve at Chard Junction. This gravel pits have been pretty productive over recent years but I had never actually visited them. After getting a few directions from Andy I headed off to see what I could find. The first pit I stumbled upon held seven Tufted Ducks but nothing else, and that's when I somehow ended up in the wrong place! I failed to find the nature reserve proper, but I think that was simply because I didn't walk far enough up the main track...but at least it gives me a reason to return to the site. So with time ticking by, and my stomach rumbling, I came on home for a much needed Sunday roast!

No comments:

Post a Comment