Sunday 26 September 2010

Sutton Bingham - Sun 26 Sep

With it being such a lovely day I decided to head up to Sutton Bingham for a visit before lunch. I stopped at the northern causeway but there was nothing of interest on either the main reservoir or West Pool, so I drove down to the hide and set up my scope.
Scanning across the water I soon picked up the seemingly ever present adult Yellow-legged Gull. There was a single Little Grebe which showed briefly before diving under the water. Overhead a couple of Ravens flew over and a Meadow Pipit was heard calling. Two Skylarks flew over, heading north and a few Swallows and House Martins were also passing through.
Leaving the hide, I took a walk around the back of the reservoir to see if anything was about, and as I crossed the field down to the water I saw a couple of Meadow Pipits perched on a telephone wire:


As I walked through the trees I saw a Goldcrest and reaching the far bank I was able to look out over the exposed mud where there were four Pied Wagtails and a couple of White Wagtails. A single Common Sandpiper was also feeding on the mud.
Despite the fact it is well in to Autumn, I was surprised to see a few butterflies on the wing. Whilst I only saw singles of Peacock, Common Blue and Comma, there were about four or five Small Coppers about:

No comments:

Post a Comment