Saturday 25 September 2010

Portland Bill - Sat 25 Sep

We headed out this afternoon and drove down to Weymouth where I dropped off Ellie so she could do some shopping for a couple of hours as I continued on down to Portland. It was about 3.45pm by the time I parked up at the Bird Observatory car park, and I was hoping to finally see a Common Rosefinch as one had been trapped and ringed by Martin Cade, the warden, earlier in the day. I had a chat with Martin when I arived and he told me where the bird had last been seen so off I set, scouring the area around the Hut Fields and the Observatory Quarry.
There were a few birds about, but nothing that really leapt out. I saw a couple of Whitethroats and two or three Blackcaps. One or two Chiffchaffs were about and there were a good number of Linnets. The open areas between the huts held a couple of White Wagtails and a few Rock Pipits. But no sign anywhere of the Common Rosefinch!
So I walked up to Culverwell where the bird had originally been trapped and had a good look around, but other than a Meadow Pipit and a Sparrowhawk saw nothing of note.
Giving up on the land birds I had a quick scan out to sea which produced the usual gulls and a few Gannets.
So having yet again dipped on Common Rosefinch, I drove back in to Weymouth and picked up Ellie, who had had a more productive afternoon and managed to pick up another new pair of shoes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment