Monday 8 November 2010

Dunwich & Dingle Marshes - Sat 6 Nov

After another cracking breakfast we drove the short distance to Dingle Marshes just to the north of Dunwich for a stroll. It was pretty cold...so much so that Ellie was not enjoying herself and decided to wait in the car whilst I took a quick walk to try and find the small flock of Shore Larks that had been present for a few weeks. Once again, luck was not on my side as there was no sign of the birds. I did see a few Skylarks, but that was really about it.
So we drove up to Dunwich Cliffs and finally saw something of note, the King Eider was showing well, if a little distantly, on the sea. This was another bird that Ellie had hoped to see, so she hopped out of the car to have a look at a black-and-white blob bobbing on the water! Whilst looking at the King Eider, a Pomarine Skua passed through.
We were meeting friends at Minsmere RSPB at midday, so as we still had plenty of time we returned to the beach car park and whilst Ellie kept an eye on the reedbeds for Bearded Tits from the warmth of the car, I tried again for Shore Lark. Ellie had more luck than I, as despite walking over a mile up the coast, I didn't see a single Shore Lark. I was lucky enough to find not one, but two Lapland Buntings, and a single Twite. So after missing another of my target species I trudged back to the car and we drove on to Minsmere RSPB.

No comments:

Post a Comment