Sunday 28 November 2010

Sutton Bingham - Sun 28 Nov

My usual Sunday morning visit whilst Ellie was at church turned out to be pretty productive if cold, with the temperature not getting above -2 degrees centigrade! I parked up on the northern causeway and scanned the reservoir, there were a good number of ducks off the dam, with over sixty Wigeon and twenty or so Teal. Also present, four Pochard and seven Tufted Duck. Feeding on the water's edge was a Little Egret, an unexpected find at this time of year. The railway embankment held a few Redwings and Fieldfares feeding on the assorted berries.
Whilst the main reservoir was full of birds, West Pool held nothing of note, so I decided to explore the southern end of the reservoir to see if there was anything happening on the bird front there. Getting out of the car the first thing I noticed were a pair of Bullfinches. I then took a walk along the reservoir's edge to the trees and river at the extreme south. Walking along I put up two Snipe from the water's edge and then a real surprise, a Woodcock! This was my first ever Woodcock at Sutton Bingham and my 160th species at the site. Despite searching I could not locate the bird as it flew through the trees. Returning to the car I scanned the pylons, finding an adult Peregrine and another flock of about twenty Teal were present. A quick walk out past the hide produced two Lapwings flying over heading north.

No comments:

Post a Comment