Sunday 1 January 2012

Dawlish Warren - Sun 1 Jan

No birding for me during the past three weeks as Ellie and I got an early Christmas present in the form of a smashing baby boy, Tristan Michael, born on 17 December.
However, I did manage to get out today for the morning and got up early in order to get to Dawlish Warren for first light, which I managed, arriving at 7.30am. I spent about an hour and a quarter seawatching and managed to pick up the female Surf Scoter that had been present for a while. Also out to sea I saw three Eider and a Red-throated Diver fly past and a Great Northern Diver was on the sea.
I then took a walk around the pond near the visitor centre and also scanned across the estuary on the far side of the golf course. This in particular proved worthwhile as I located the long-staying drake American Wigeon in with the Eurasian Wigeon flock. Several common species were also seen and as I started walking back to the car I got a call from the lads I usually head out with, and we decided to meet up at Exminster Marshes, so that was where I headed off to.

No comments:

Post a Comment