Saturday 7 January 2012

Sutton Bingham - Sat 7 Jan

I managed to get out of the house for about an hour before lunch today whilst Ellie and Tristan were sleeping. A brief stop at the northern end of the reservoir produced two drake Tufted Ducks and a Little Grebe on West Pool, but little else of note. So I drove on down to the hide, this proved pointless as there were no birds and the sun was so bright off the water I couldn't see if any were hiding away in the vegetation.
Therefore I decided to take a walk along the water's edge and out to the area of flooded woodland at the extreme south of the site. This is not an area of public access, but I am fortunate enough to have arranged access with the warden. As I walked along a total of fifteen Common Snipe shot up from the vegetation. A male Sparrowhawk shot through the trees disturbing a number of Redwings amongst other species. A couple of Goldcrests flitted through but that was about that. As I returned to the car, I had a better view of the water and the sun was now behind me. A total of 176 Teal and 66 Wigeon were present, alongside a pair of Tufted Duck and a female Pochard. As I had promised to be back in time to get some lunch for Ellie I called it a day and headed on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment