Saturday 9 June 2012

Chesil Cove, Portland Bill & Ferrybridge - Sat 9 Jun

I set off south early this morning, arriving at Chesil Cove on the Isle of Portland at 8.40am. I spent a little under an hour seawatching and during that period connected with a few good birds. Two Pomarine Skuas and a single Arctic Skua flew west and a single Storm Petrel entertained me for the duration of my stay (at one point I thought it may have been joined by a second bird). By 9.30am it had goen very quiet so I drove down to Portland Bill.
I made straight for the obelisk and did another seawatch, but other than some distant Gannets, Fulmars and Kittiwakes it was really just auk passage. Eventually I did manage to pick out a Manx Shearwater as it flew rapidly west. On the walk back to the car I stopped off at the Obs Quarry where I located a Little Owl (I'd not seen one here for quite some time, so nice to know they are still about).
I then set off for home but made a very brief stop at Ferrybridge on the way through where I counted at least ten Little Terns over the colony on Chesil Beach. So a good end to a very productive couple of hours out.
UK list for 2012 now at 205 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment