Wednesday 6 June 2012

Ibsley & Martin Down NR - Wed 6 Jun

I started work early today so that I could zoom off at lunchtime and drive down to the small village of Ibsley, just north of Ringwood in Hants. I arrived on site at about 1.15pm and as I got out of the car I could hear the bird I was after singing away in a clump of brambles right next to the road. I joined the ten or so other birders that were on site and after just a five minute wait I got really lucky as the Marsh Warbler that had been found last night popped out in to the open to chase off a Sedge Warbler before darting back in to the undergrowth. Result, a lifer and a bird off my dip-list! In the next half hour I saw the bird just once more as it flew in to some dense vegetation further from the road...so I didn't linger and instead headed back towards home.
I stopped off at Martin Down NR on the way home in the hope to find Turtle Doves, but I faield to see any. However, I did hear a Quail singing away in the grass but although it was not that far away I had no chance of seeing it! A Cuckoo was heard, a Red-legged Partridge put in a brief appearance and there were countless Skylarks and Yellowhammers around, I also managed to see my first Small Heath butterflies of the year. At 3.00pm I called it a day and drove home after a very successful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment