Saturday 18 August 2012

Lodmoor RSPB - Sat 18 Aug

More father and son time this afternoon and a trip south to Weymouth and a walk around Lodmoor RSPB. I was after a couple of species that had been reported earlier in the day according to my pager and it did not take me too long to connect with my first target as I located the two Wood Sandpipers near "the Hump".
 
 
The first of three Common Sandpipers was seen in the same area with others near the tern islands and then near a flock of roosting gulls. I headed towards the gulls in the hope of finding the second target of the day and when I spotted another birder he saved me a bit of effort as he had the Little Gull I was after in his 'scope (note the size comparison of the roosting Little Gull alongside the Black-headed Gulls).
Excellent stuff...both birds safely ticked off and not a moment too soon as the gulls suddenly got spooked and took to the air, the Little Gull vanished from site as he headed towards the bay. I continued the circular walk but other than a single Swift and a pair of Snipe that whizzed around over the reserve I saw nothing of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment