Sunday 26 August 2012

Whit Moor - Sun 26 Aug

Somewhere a bit different this afternoon as I took Tristan out for a walk (well I walk and he sits in his carrier on my back!) up on the Levels and out on to Whit Moor, just east of Long Load. This moor had been pretty productive during the floods earlier in August but the water levels had dropped off recently. Despite this I thought it would be worth a walk anyway. We followed the main track out over the moor and I had to watch my footing as I dodged mud and puddles in just my trainers!
A large flock of Little Egrets took to the air and I counted forty birds, plus a few others scattered about the moor, there were also a good number of Grey Herons. A Peregrine caused a bit of a stir as it passed over the moor. I also heard at least three Yellow Wagtails calling from the fields.
As I continued the outward journey a small flock of five Yellow Wagtails actually flew over my head from the west. A minute or two later another ten passed over and then amazingly another flock flew over...this time of thirty-one birds and with a few more stragglers later on I must have counted around fifty Yellow Wagtails this afternoon!
The walk back to the car was also pretty productive with a Wheatear being seen, a Reed Warbler finally pinned down as it "chacked" away in the sedges, and a Whinchat also present.
Another disturbance over the fields, this time caused by a Common Buzzard, flushed a couple of Ruff, and judging by the size difference they were presumably male and female birds. A single Snipe also took to the air and expressed its annoyance as it called loudly as it flew over us.
Before we knew it it was time to get home for tea, but it had been a very enjoyable afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment