Sunday 13 January 2013

Ferrybridge & Portland Harbour - Sun 13 Jan

I managed to get out for a couple of hours this morning and we headed south and made for Ferrybridge. Parking at the visitor centre I braved the cold wind and spent an hour wandering around. There were at least one hundred Mediterranean Gulls on the water of varying plumages and ages and a fair-sized flock of Dark-bellied Brent Geese. After a lot of searching I finally located the Snow Bunting that had been present for a few weeks...and I must have walked past it several times before finally seeing it.
I also saw a Meadow Pipit and a couple of Skylarks whilst at Ferrybridge but with time getting on I headed back in to Weymouth and drove up to Sandsfoot Castle where I spent a little bit of time scanning Portland Harbour.
Ten Great Crested Grebes were gathered in the north-east corner of the harbour whilst much further out a Great Northern Diver was seen. Eventually I located the two Velvet Scoters, one of which did a very obliging wing stretch to clinch identification! About six or so Black-necked Grebes were also seen as well as several Red-breasted Merganser.
And that was that, time was up and I headed back home for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment