Sunday 13 January 2013

Ham Wall RSPB - Sun 13 Jan

A family trip out this afternoon and a jaunt up to the Somerset Levels and a visit to Ham Wall RSPB reserve. When we arrived soon after 3.30pm we couldn't get over the number of cars, we ended up parking about a mile down the road form the reserve entrance! So with a good walk under our belts before we even got to Ham Wall we certainly got a fair bit of exercise this afternoon.
Walking on past the massed ranks of Starling watchers and RSPB staff we headed straight to the second viewing platform. Once there I scanned the reedbeds whilst Ellie and Tristan had a rest (though I'm not sure Tristan needed a rest as I had been carrying him in his backpack!). I was pleasantly surprised when I located a Water Pipit feeding. A small flock of about half a dozen Lesser Redpoll flew over, a Stonechat was flitting between reeds, and on the water I saw my first Gadwall and Tufted Duck of 2013. A Great White Egret was seen from the first viewpoint as we walked back towards the car...oh yes, and several thousand Starlings wowed the crowds.
UK list for 2013 now at 107 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment