Sunday 24 February 2013

Butleigh - Sun 24 Feb

I didn't have long to spend out and about this morning so I travelled up to the village of Butleigh in an attempt to connect with a wintering Firecrest that had been found a week or so earlier. When we got to the village I had little idea where I was going, but somehow managed to end up parking by the playing fields and when getting rugged up against the cold weather I stopped a passing dog-walking to check the location. To my great surprise it was my old primary school teacher who I'd not seen for nearly thirty years, so we had a good chat and then I headed off to try and see the bird. A quick chat with "The Somerset Birder" James Packer gave me the rest of information I needed and within twenty minutes I heard the Firecrest calling in some ivy before getting some terrible views. It then flew over the road in front of me and vanished without a trace! I also saw a Chiffchaff amongst the commoner "garden birds" on show.

No comments:

Post a Comment