Friday 8 February 2013

Sixpenny Handley - Wed 6 Feb

An afternoon trip out to the Dorset/Hampshire border today and at around 3.30pm I arrived at Wyke Down, near the vilalge of Sixpenny Handley. I did not have a huge amount of time to spend on site but I was hoping to connect with the wintering Great Grey Shrike as well as Hen Harrier and Short-eared Owl (both of which had been seen daily for the last week). After spending nearly an hour on site I dipped out on all three of my target birds!
I did manage to add a year tick in the form of Stock Dove, but nowhere near as exciting as those birds I had hoped to see. I'm sure the very strong and cold wind had something to do with it. In fact there were very few brids around, a flock of Fieldfares flew over and a dozen or so Lapwings were seen in flight. Some consolation was found in the form of a hunting Barn Owl seen as we drove through the village of Cashmoor on our way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment