Sunday 17 February 2013

Ham Wall RSPB - Sat 16 Feb & Sun 17 Feb

When news broke late on Friday night of a Pied-billed Grebe at Ham Wall RSPB reserve there was little doubt that I would end up going to look for it on Saturday afternoon. As I walked out to the second viewing platform we were treated to smashing views of two male Marsh Harriers closely followed by a fly-by Bittern. So two year ticks and hopefully a good omen...it wasn't! Despite plenty of searching the grebe had gone missing by the time we arrived, and needing to get home for tea I had to leave without seeing the bird.
Sunday morning and a second try. We all set out for a family walk and had a nice view of a Kingfisher as we walked along the track. Reaching the viewing platform there were loads more birders than had been present the night before...but the grebe was again playing hide and seek and time was against us yet again and we had to leave empty handed for the second time in less than twenty four hours. I'm just glad I had made the effort to drive up to Manchester in 2010 or else I'd have been totally pee-ed off!

No comments:

Post a Comment