Tuesday 6 May 2014

Lodmoor RSPB & Radipole RSPB - Mon 5 May

A family trip out to Weymouth and after dropping my lovely wife off in town to do some shopping I headed off to Lodmoor RSPB reserve to twitch a Black-winged Stilt! After a bit of a walk I reached the little viewing shelter and was told the bird was currently out of site on the marsh, but it didn't take long until it came back out in to the open and showed well, if distantly, for the next five or so minutes. A few Common Terns were milling around overhead and a Dunlin was the only other wader I saw during the relatively brief visit.
Back then to Radipole for a cup of coffee and flapjack and whilst looking through the gulls I relocated the Iceland Gull that had been seen on and off over the past few days, much to the joy of the birders present. Unfortunately I had left my scope in the car else I could have got one of those brilliant record shots that always liven up my blog posting! A sub-adult Sandwich Tern was also present and the rather flamboyant Hooded Merganser was trying to pull a female Tufted Duck (I didn't fancy his chances!). We did attempt a bit of a walk but time was against us so we headed back home after a great trip out.
Year list for 2014 now at 171 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment