Tuesday 27 May 2014

Portland Bill & Ferrybridge - Mon 26 May

My first trip to the Bird Observatory at Portland Bill of the year, and I couldn't have picked a better day really. After dipping more Common Rosefinches than I've had hot dinners today everything seemed to fall in to place and I finally connected with one of my real bogey birds. Ok, it was only a first-summer male so lacked the red hues of an adult, but I really didn't care as I managed to get some brilliant views from the Bird Obs patio and heard it sing on a few occasions. So Common Rosefinch is finally off my dip list!
As well as the Common Rosefinch I also struck it lucky with a male Serin also present in the Bird Obs garden and again this showed really well for a while. When both finches vanished within minutes of each other I decided to take a walk down to the Obelisk and see if anything was happening out to sea...it wasn't! I did see my first Fulmar, Kittiwake and Guillemot of the year though!
Back then to the car and I left the Isle of Portland and made a quick stop at Ferrybridge. Not much happening here either though there were around two dozen Little Terns milling about. A Common Tern flew through and on the mud a Dunlin and two Sanderling were present. I also added another common bird to my 2014 year list, this time Ringed Plover!

No comments:

Post a Comment