Friday 2 January 2015

Arne RSPB - Fri 2 Jan

Down to south Dorset today, and I started off at Arne RSPB reserve. A few of the common woodland birds were around the car park, but I failed in locating any Firecrests. I then walked out to Shipstal Point and scanned the water and soon located a female Goldeneye and a few Red-breasted Mergansers. Both Bar-tailed Godwit and Black-tailed Godwits were seen, the latter far more numerous, and a flock of Avocets were seen distantly in flight.
On the heath I was lucky enough to see a female Dartford Warbler before then finding two males, typically perched in the winter sun atop a gorse bush...though as soon as I got my scope out to get a picture they vanished!
The "usual" flock of Spoonbills were present, and numbered a massive thirty-one birds, my biggest ever flock in the UK. A few Pintail were amongst the Teal, Mallard and Wigeon.
All in all a good morning out before returning to the car for a quick sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment