Monday 19 January 2015

Sutton Bingham - Sun 18 Jan

A flying visit on yesterday lunchtime on my way home from work paid dividends as I found a Stonechat flitting around on the left hand side of West Pool. A pair of Wigeon were resting on West Pool itself, but I did not have time to look for anything else.
However, today I was able to spend a little more time on the patch. A morning visit and a wander around the car park added a fly-over Skylark and a Treecreeper to the patch year list. Half a dozen Meadow Pipits were in the grass in the field to the south of the car park and a Kingfisher whizzed by.
Returning later in the day I had a good walk around Cotton Bridge, but failed to see the small flock of Lesser Redpolls that had been present earlier in the week. I did see a Bullfinch though and flushed ten Snipe from the water's edge. Around forty Teal and thirty Wigeon were tucked away at the southern end of the reservoir, with another fourteen Wigeon off the dam. A pair of Bullfinches were at the Water Treatment Works and five Tufted Ducks had appeared on West Pool.
With the daylight drawing out I had to head home before the gull roost really got going, and despite adding a few more species to the patch year list I left feeling that the day had not really delivered.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2015 now at 46 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment