Monday 11 January 2016

Sutton Bingham - Sun 10 Jan

My first proper trip to the reservoir for a week (a couple of flying visits on the way to work had not produced anything of note) and it turned out to be a good ninety minutes on site mid-afternoon.
I started off at the southern end of the reservoir and took a walk around Cotton Bridge, well I say walk, it was more like a slog through mud and water! I flushed ten Snipe from the marshy area south of Cotton Bridge and managed to see a Marsh Tit (it took me over eight months in 2015!). A male Bullfinch was another addition to the patch year list whilst on the water I counted around forty Wigeon and fifty Teal plus a single Little Grebe and a pair of Tufted Duck. Overhead I saw three Raven and a Pheasant was heard.
A quick visit to the car park area was worth while as a small flock of eight Siskin were seen.
On then to the dam and there were loads of small birds present, especially around the feeders the warden had put up and I had soon added Great Spotted Woodpecker and Greenfinch to the year list, and with Collared Dove and House Sparrow seen nearby it was becoming a pretty good start to the year.
With time against me, I wanted to be home for the 4pm kick off as Spurs were playing, I called it a day just as the gulls were starting to arrive.
Sutton Bingham year list for 2016 now at 57 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment