Monday 18 January 2016

Sutton Bingham - Sun 17 Jan

I'd had a text message on Thursday morning telling me of a Jack Snipe flushed at the southern end of the reservoir, but a thirty minute visit on Saturday lunchtime after work failed to relocate it, though I did have ten or so Snipe...that was it as I wanted to get home for the Spurs match!
Sunday afternoon was a bit more relaxed and I spent an hour at the reservoir before dark. It was not a good evening for gulls despite there being a few hundred milling about they were not settling tonight and instead there was a steady stream of birds flying south and in amongst them I located four adult Mediterranean Gulls, ghostly white in the evening light.
The field between the car park and Canoe Club produced the wintering Stonechat and two Meadow Pipits as well as my first Fieldfare of the year.
The southern end of the reservoir was again quite quiet with eight Wigeon and seven Teal all that I could find, there is a distinct lack of wildfowl at Sutton Bingham at present, presumably due to the amount of flood water across the region and the dispersion of birds.
I ended my visit at the dam, but there's nothing to say about that!
Sutton Bingham year list for 2016 now at 59 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment