Monday 18 April 2016

Ham Wall RSPB - Sun 17 Apr

With it being such a lovely day I headed up to Ham Wall RSPB for a walk this afternoon...and it was a pretty good decision. As I got out of the car I had two Great White Egrets fly over and land in the nearest reed bed! Walking out I paused at the first viewing platform and found a very smart drake Garganey whilst on the opposite side of the path the drake Ring-necked Duck that I had missed on my last visit was showing well...not a bad first twenty minutes out!
I then walked out to the second viewing platform accompanied by singing Reed Warblers and booming Bitterns. From the second viewing point I saw a couple of Marsh Harriers, a White Wagtail and another three Great White Egrets. I then crossed the stream and made my way back towards the car stopping off to view the area just before the path out to the new hide. From here I saw another drake Garganey and a dazzling Yellow Wagtail. The long-staying Glossy Ibis was also showing well and a supporting cast of two Common Sandpipers and around seventy Black-tailed Godwits added to the scene.
All in all it was a brilliant afternoon out!

No comments:

Post a Comment