Monday 18 April 2016

Sutton Bingham - Sun 17 Apr

I was up and out fairly early this morning, arriving at the dam at Sutton Bingham soon after 6.30am and it was rather chilly, the thermometer on the car registering minus two! That being said, despite the chill it was a lovely morning. Scanning from the dam it was evident that there had been a good arrival of Common Sandpipers, with fifteen being counted around the water's edge. A couple of drake Mandarin were also seen.
I then moved on round to West Pool where a further three Common Sandpipers were present before parking in the car park and walking down the length of the reservoir. A total of seven more Common Sandpipers were counted, including five together at the Canoe Club (bringing the total up to twenty-five birds), but the highlight were four Whimbrel which I put up as I walked through the field between the car park and the Canoe Club. I was pretty pleased to get this species on to the patch year list as it has been a few years since I last saw any at Sutton Bingham.
Other bits and pieces seen today included a scattering of the commoner summer warblers and four Linnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment