Saturday 30 July 2016

Black Hole Marsh, Seaton - Sat 30 Jul

A trip out this afternoon to Devon and a wander around Black Hole Marsh, part of Seaton Wetlands. A few decent waders had been seen over recent days, so I thought I'd pop down and take a look in the hope of getting a couple of year ticks...not that I'm year listing of course!
On arrival I scanned the marsh and immediately picked out a good number of Dunlin (including some very nice summer plumages birds), several Black-tailed Godwits, and loads of Redshank. A single Curlew and at least ten Common Sandpipers were also noted. But the birds I was after took just a little more work and I made for the Island Hide to maximise my chances of seeing them, and that paid off as first I had some smashing views of a Wood Sandpiper.
I then got on three juveniles and a single adult Little Ringed Plover. Other bits and pieces seen included a rather showy, if somewhat distant, Water Rail and a couple of Ringed Plover.
On the gull front I failed to pick out anything out of the ordinary, but I did not check the estuary. All in all it was a lovely afternoon out and made for quite a nice change from birding at Sutton Bingham!

No comments:

Post a Comment