Sunday 31 October 2010

Chew Valley Lake - Sun 31 Oct

Unfortunately, Ellie was not feeling too well, so I ended up driving up to Chew Valley Lake on my own. It was about 2.30pm when I arrived and I made straight for Woodford Lodge to get a day permit so that I could visit the hides, the permit was only £2.50.
Having got my permit I stopped off at Heron's Green Bay and took a look about. The water level was surprisingly low, but it did mean that there was a fair bit of mud exposed, and this had attracted a few waders, with a pair of Ruff, four Dunlin and a total of four Green Sandpipers seen, a Snipe was also seen in flight.
There were loads of birds on the water, and a 1st winter Little Gull was feeding over the lake. I was surprised to see three Ruddy Ducks on the lake after DEFRA had been culling this delightful bird over the last several years. I hope this remaining birds avoid the hunters.
I was trying to find a Ring-necked Duck and Ferruginous Duck that had been around for a while, but after a hot air balloon passed over and flushed all the birds I figured my chances were now slim. I left Heron's Green and drove down to Stratford Hide. From the hide I had no luck with either of the rare ducks, and I was also aware of the time. About a dozen Meadow Pipits were feeding on the shoreline, and again there were loads of ducks on the water. As well as the large numbers of Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, and Pochard, I picked out a few Pintail. The light was starting to go so I headed back home just after 4.00pm.
UK list for 2010 now at 219 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment