Wednesday 13 October 2010

Coat, nr.Martock & Greylake RSPB - Wed 13 Oct

After the report of a Common Crane just outside Coat on Tuesday morning, I thought it would worth a quick look during my half day. I had a look around, but there was no sound of the crane, a couple of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks flew overhead. So rather than any more time I drove up to the RSPB reserve at Greylake, arriving at about 3.15pm.
I was hoping to see the Spotted Crake that was still present as I had missed it ten days ago. I waited and waited, several Teal were on the pool and a couple of Snipe were present. On a distant pylon there was Peregrine, and then I spotted three Common Cranes!! Unfortunately they were cardboard cut-outs that had been placed on the reserve to attract the reintroduced birds. Still no sign of the Spotted Crake and as it was now 4.30pm I got ready to head on home when another birder saw the crake as it moved through the reeds. Excellent! The long wait had been well worth it, and just in time too as it really was time to get on home.
UK list for 2010 now at 215 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment