Wednesday 9 March 2011

Lodmoor RSPB - Wed 9 Mar

My afternoon off, so with Ellie on a school trip to the Eden Project meant I had plenty of time to do some birding, so I headed down to the seaside and arrived at Lodmoor at 2.45pm.
I walked around to the western part of the reserve in the hope of finding one of the Firecrests that had been in the area for a few days, however, an hour long search failed to produce anything other than a Goldcrest and a Bullfinch, so I headed on round the reserve.
As I looked out over Lodmoor a single White-fronted Goose was grazing:

Two Spoonbills were present:

The usual wildfowl were also on the water, but there were no early spring migrants knocking about.
I then walked out to the seafront and spent half an hour seawatching. A distant Black-throated Diver was a nice find and several Great Crested Grebes. As time was getting on it was hardly surprising that a large number of gulls were gathering in Weymouth Bay to roost, and I noticed a single adult Mediterranean Gull among the flock.
Returning to the RSPB reserve I spent another hour looking for a Firecrest, but again drew a blank, but a Cetti's Warbler was calling and a Water Rail squealed away from the undergrowth.
Before long it was gone 6.00pm and I was getting cold and hungry, so I set off back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment