Sunday 13 March 2011

Stanpit Marsh - Sun 13 Mar

Ellie and I were off to visit her parents today as it was my father-in-law's birthday. So we set off from home a bit earlier than we needed to and took a walk around Stanpit Marsh in Christchurch.
As we walked along I spotted a very smart male Wheatear, my first of the year, which typically turned it's back as soon as I tried to get a shot with my phone!

A large number of Brent Geese and Wigeon were grazing on the salt marsh, with several Little Egrets also present.
A scan across the muddy fringe produced several waders, with good numbers of Grey Plover and Dunlin plus a few Bar-tailed Godwits. The pick of the bunch however, was a Little Stint.
We continued round the marsh, seeing well over ten Little Grebes in the river, before heading out on to Priory Marsh for a quick look about.
There were loads of Meadow Pipits whizzing about, but we could not get on to anything different. As we walked back towards the car we also picked up at least eight or so White Wagtails.
After an hour at Stanpit we had to head off for Mudeford and lunch with Ellie's folks.
UK list for 2011 now at 175 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment