Sunday 6 March 2011

Meare Heath NNR - Sun 6 Mar

It was such a lovely afternoon, albeit with a rather cold wind, that Ellie and I decided we really should get out for an hour or so this afternoon. So we took our somewhat regular trip up on to the Somerset Levels and parked at the Ashcott Corner car park. However, by the time we arrived, just after 3.00pm, Ellie was exhausted so she decided to have a doze in the car whilst I went for a walk about.
I headed out along the path and before long could hear a booming Bittern in the reeds, though it remained typically shy hidden deep in the reedbed. As I reached the second lagoon a couple of Great White Egrets flew in and landed in front of me, and before long were joined by a third bird!



I then walked out to the hide at Noah's Lake, where to my surprise another two Great White Egrets flew in from the west and over the hide, so a total of five birds were present on the reserve this afternoon.
During the hour that I was out and about, I did not really see anything else much of note, just the usual assortment of wildfowl, etc. but it was great getting out in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment