Wednesday 2 March 2011

Tadham Moor - Wed 2 Mar

I decided to stay fairly local this afternoon, and drove up on to the Somerset Levels in lovely sunshine. I arrived on Tadham Moor just before 3.00pm and walked out along a drove to the south of Fir Tree Farm. The trees either side of the drove were surprisingly busy with regard to bird life, with Treecreeper, Jay and Greater Spotted Woodpecker all being seen. The fields either side contained large numbers of Starlings and Redwings, with a smaller number of Fieldfares.
When I reached the end of the drove, about a ten minute walk, I set up my 'scope and started scanning over the fields. Several Common Buzzards were about and I also saw a couple of Sparrowhawks and a Kestrel. However, I was hoping to connect with one of three Short-eared Owls that had been in the area for the past couple of weeks.
After half an hour I started to get the feeling that it was not going to be a straightforward exercise. Fortunately, the weather was accomodating and I enjoyed some winter sun. As time ticked by six or so Grey Herons flew over heading north, presumably to roost.
I decided to give it until 4.30pm before calling it a day, but that deadline came and went and just as I was about to finally give up, I spotted a Short-eared Owl quartering the fields in the near distance. I enjoyed the bird for ten minutes or so as it hunted over the fields, a great sight. So after just over a hundred minutes of watching and waiting I got what I was after...the only down side being it was too late to get in any birding anywhere else before dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment