Tuesday 31 May 2011

Acres Down and Bratley View - Tue 31 May

A fairly early start and I left Ellie in bed as I headed down to the New Forest. After a ninety minute drive I parked at the car park at Millyford Bridge. This meant a fairly long walk through the forest and up to Acres Down. Along the way a saw a Redstart and a Cuckoo, and eventually I reached the top of the hill and set up my scope ready for a bit of rapter watching. Before long I had located a couple of soaring Goshawks, and over the next hour I noted at least six birds. I was also fortunate enough to see a couple of displaying Honey Buzzards as well as sightings of three more birds. So all in all a good start to the day. Also at Acres Down I saw a Tree Pipit and a fly-over Siskin.
I then set off through the forest on a roundabout walk back to the car, and it was a good job I had a map with me as the various trails were not signposted. Along the way I saw three more Redstarts, including a brilliant male bird. An outbreak of noise in the canopy attracted my attention to a Hawfinch harassing a Jay. A couple of Wood Warblers were heard singing.
Eventually I found my way back to the car and drove back west. I parked at Bratley View and walked out across the heathland. I was hoping that there would be a couple of Dartford Warblers about, but the severe winter weather has really taken its toll on these birds. I did see a couple of Stonechats and a Meadow Pipit. But with not much else about I headed off and left the New Forest after a really good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment