Tuesday 24 May 2011

Ham Wall RSPB - Tue 24 May

So it goes like this, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. So I suggested to Ellie that we go for a walk up on the levels as soon as I finished work and so I picked her up from home and we were at Ham Wall just after 6.30pm.
We walked straight out to the first viewing platform where by pure chance I raised my bins to my eyes and saw the Red-footed Falcon dip behind some trees. We then walked on to the second viewing platform in order to get a bit of exercise and along the way had five seperate Bittern sightings as the birds flew low over the reedbeds. We also saw a Spotted Flycatcher, my first of the year, and as we returned to the car the female Red-footed Falcon put in another appearance, this time showing much better as it hawked for insects over the reeds.
So with the target safely ticked off and a pleasant evening stroll completed wwe were back at the car and heading back home.
UK list for 2011 now at 227 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment