Saturday 7 May 2011

Pen Wood Trail - Sat 7 May

I'm on call this weekend, so couldn't venture too far from home and as Ellie had gone off shopping with a girl friend I decided to head up to a site that I had not previously visited, Pen Wood near Pendomer. I arrived soon after 4.30pm and within seconds the heavens had opened! Despite the heavy rain I set off for a walk around the wood, opting for the shorter of the two trails which was about a mile in length.
A few "typical" woodland birds were still singing away despite the weather with a Song Thrush being most audible above the constant falling rain. Following the way-markers I walked down a path with thick conifers on the right making quite a tunnel of vegetation. I nearly had a heart-attack as a Roe Deer leapt out in front of me and bounded down the path, at the same moment a Tawny Owl flew straight towards me at eye level before veering off to the right above my head...what a sight!
As my heart rate returned to normal I rejoined the main trail and completed the circuit back to the car, seeing only a Jay and hearing a couple of Chiffchaffs. So not a lot seen but it was certainly worth visiting this site which looks like it could produce a few good birds in the right conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment