Wednesday 27 July 2011

Lodmoor RSPB - Tue 26 Jul

After a busy morning sorting out a few things around the house Ellie and I set off for Lodmoor RSPB reserve in Weymouth for a walk in the early afternoon. It was another really lovely day and we parked up and walked down Beachdown Way. We headed straight for the bank from which the Stilt Sandpiper had been regularly seen and bumped in to an old friend, Lee Evans. After catching up with Lee for a while I looked for the sandpiper but could only see a couple of Common Sandpipers and three Green Sandpipers. Four Black-tailed Godwits were also present. However, there was no sign of the Stilt Sandpiper (and it had not been seen for nearly four hours) so rather than hang around we said goodbye to Lee and headed back to the car.
We got back home at 5.00pm and as we reached the front door my phone rang and it was Lee telling me the bird was now showing again, so I called my mate Andy Grinter who had called me earlier and wanted to go and see the bird so I found myself back at Lodmoor just after 6.00pm!
This time we were successful, though we had to wait for thirty minutes for the Stilt Sandpiper to finally show itself, and when it did it was ofter obscured behind reeds, but it was a cracking summer-plumaged bird and well worth two trips in one day!
UK list for 2011 now at 244 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment