Saturday 2 July 2011

Somerton - Sat 2 Jul

I was up and out of the door by 5.30am this morning, leaving Ellie sound asleep, and drove up to Somerton to try and add Quail to my year list on the fourth attempt! I had received an email from a fellow birder late on Thursday night giving me a few more details on the best place to hear the birds singing, and I as I parked by the dead tree he had mentioned and got out of the car I could hear at least two Quails singing away, with the distinctive "wet-my-lips" call carrying across the fields.
So mission accomplished and it wasn't even 6.00am yet! There were loads of birds around and it was a lovely morning. Yellowhammers seemed to be everywhere and a flock of about forty Goldfinches flew over. A small family party of Linnets were perched up in a hedgerow and a couple of Stock Doves flew over and after a productive session in the field I headed back home and hopped back in to bed with Ellie....!

No comments:

Post a Comment