Thursday 28 July 2011

Melbourn - Thu 28 Jul

An early start as my mate Andy and I left Somerset at 5.30am, picked up John en route, and drove up to Cambridgeshire to try and finally get Common Rosefinch as a singing first winter bird had been present for a couple of weeks. After a pretty uneventful drive we arrived at the site just outside of the village of Melbourn at 9.15am.
We then spent nearly five hours staking out the garden in which it had been singing and showing for the last fifteen or so days...and the final result is that I still need Common Rosefinch and have now dipped out on at least seven birds, it really is a bogey bird for me.
There were plenty of birds about despite us not connecting with the one we were after we did see a couple of Spotted Flycatchers, a few Linnets, and the usual garden bird species.
So a long day and I ended up driving nearly 400 miles, one day I'll see this species...I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment