Friday 8 July 2011

Sutton Bingham - Fri 8 Jul

Another pretty uninspiring day weather wise but I did drag myself out of the house mid-afternoon and popped up to the reservoir for an hour where I bumped in to a fellow birder and Sutton Bingham patcher. My first stop was the northern causeway where a drake Tufted Duck was an unusual visitor for the time of year. Four Common Sandpipers were seen flying across the water from the Sailing Club before alighting on to the far bank.
I then drove on down to the southern end and sat by the hide for half an hour or so. On the exposed mud there was another Common Sandpiper and two Green Sandpipers, and a single Greenshank was also present. Three juvenile Mandarin were seen and were not at all phased as a Red Fox ran on to the mud and past them.The only other bird of note that I saw during my visit was a Kingfisher, a colourful end to a refreshing trip out.

No comments:

Post a Comment