Saturday 2 March 2013

Abbotsbury & Ferrybridge - Sat 2 Mar

An afternoon trip south and a visit to Abbotsbury. Rather than park in the beach car park and walk along Chesil Beach, I drove past the swannery and parked on the road so that I could scan the Fleet with my scope. After much searching I finally located the three Long-tailed Duck and around five very sleepy Scaup. There was not much else out of the ordinary to be seen so we jumped back in the car and headed off to Ferrybridge.
A Black Brant had been seen earlier in the day, but when we arrived there were only a handful of Dark-bellied Brent Geese and nothing any rarer. So I took a walk over the road to check out Portland Harbour. Scanning the water I soon found the two Velvet Scoter that had been present for quite some time, and at least twenty Black-necked Grebes were seen. Other birds on the water included loads of Red-breasted Merganser and at least forty Mediterranean Gulls, some of which were in splendid summer plumage.
Time was against us so I headed home (a brief stop at Radipole RSPB to see if the Iceland Gull had popped in proved unsuccessful).

No comments:

Post a Comment