Monday 18 March 2013

Ham Wall RSPB - Sun 17 Mar

Despite fancying a change of scenary, I found myself at Ham Wall this afternoon as I was hoping to connect with the drake Ring-necked Duck that had turned up at the reserve a week earlier. Despite waking up to snow this morning, it was a wonderful spring afternoon with lovely sunshine and a pleasant temperature which made for a nice walk out.
Passing the second viewing platform I continued on and eventually located the Ring-necked Duck roosing in some vegetation. After a while it awoke, started preening, and then swam off out of site. I had another look for the Ferruginous Duck which was proving elusive, until it suddenly swam across a channel with a handful of Pochard.
Walking back towards the car, I paused at the second viewing platform in the hope of getting better views of the long-staying Pied-billed Grebe. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when I didn't see it. A sub-adult Marsh Harrier flew through and a Bittern was booming from the reedbeds.
On the drive back home the road through Berhill was closed due to an accident so it was a slight detour on towards Street before cutting across to Walton Hill to get back on track. This diversion produced an unexpected bonus in the form of a very obliging Barn Owl that passed in front of the car, ending a pleasant afternoon out.

No comments:

Post a Comment