Saturday 16 March 2013

East Coker WTW - Sat 16 Mar

I was at a bit of a loss as to where to go this afternoon, I was later leaving the house than I had hoped so I decided against the Somerset Levels and instead stayed local, taking a walk out to the sewage works at East Coker, a location I had only discovered a couple of weeks ago.
As with most sewage works, there is no public access so you have to try and see what you can from public footpaths, however, when I arrived today I met a couple of ladies tending to their horses and it just so happened that one of them owned the field next to the sewage works. The Farr charm worked its magic and I now have access to the field which gives me the opportunity to cross said field to a raised bit of ground and have a wonderful views of the beds.
As I crossed the field to my vantage point at least half a dozen Meadow Pipits flew up from the waterlogged ground (another couple were feeding on the beds themselves). Scanning the beds there were a lot of Pied Wagtails, a couple of Grey Wagtails and at least one White Wagtail. As was the case on my last visit there were some Chiffchaffs about, with four feeding. I also relocated the paler Chiffchaff I had seen previously and with some cracking views alongside the other Chiffchaffs it was obvious this was a Siberian Chiffchaff!
A few spots of rain started to fall so with a small flock of Redwing flying overhead heading north and a Yellowhammer putting in a cameo appearance we headed back towards home glad to have been able to get some fresh air this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment