Saturday 30 March 2013

Portland - Sat 30 Mar

This afternoon I headed south and drove down to Portland. I was hoping to see a Bluethroat that had turned up earlier in the day (the third one on Portland in the last week and as I had not been able to go and see either of the others). On arrival in Weston I was told that the bird had been showing well feeding in and around a small pool, and within minutes I got some cracking views of an adult male White-spotted Bluethroat.
 
There were loads of Chiffchaffs feeding in and around the same area, but not much else in the way of migrants.
Returning to the car I then decided to have a quick stop at Barleycrates Lane where I added Wheatear to the year list. A couple of Song Thrushes and a Blackcap were also seen, but there were no hoped for Ring Ouzels.
Driving back through Weymouth my first few Sand Martins of the year were whizzing over the water at Radipole RSPB reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment