Monday 8 April 2013

Longham Lakes & Mudeford Quay - Sat 6 Apr

I was heading down towards Christchurch today, so took the opportunity to stop off at Longham Lakes en route. A quick walk round one of the lakes produced my first singing Willow Warbler of the year, though I failed to see it, and an Egyptian Goose was another year tick as it sat in a field alongside a couple of Canada Geese.
The lakes themselves held the usual diving and dabbling duck, nothing out of the ordinary...despite my scouring the various birds sat on the water. Around the fringes there were loads of Chiffchaffs and Robins, but again nothing more exotic.
On then to the coast and a walk around Mudeford Quay. After a lot of searching I finally managed to locate the long-staying Red-necked Grebe. Unfortunately it was rather distant so I was not really able to appreciate it in its splendid summer plumage. A few waders were present, including Turnstone and Grey Plover, and I picked out my first Sandwich Tern of the year as it flew in and settled on a sand bar. Out to sea there was nothing of interest...in fact, there was nothing! But it was a worthwhile trip and I ended the day with four year ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment