Monday 22 April 2013

Sutton Bingham - Sun 21 Apr

I had longer than usual this morning so when news broke of a pair of Whiskered Terns on the Somerset Levels I started off in that direction, now I don't know why, but something made me change my mind and instead I ended up at Sutton Bingham Reservoir. Parking in the car park I took a walk down the length of the reservoir and back again.
Around the car park a few Blackcaps were present, I also saw a pair of Bullfinches, and a female Sparrowhawk soared high above the water. Continuing along the water's edge a Common Sandpiper took flight and then a bit of a surprise as three Greylag Geese flew in from the north and settled on the water opposite the hide, where they spent most of the time close to the vegetation.
There was not much else happening but on the walk back I heard and then saw my first Whitethroat of the year in roadside hedges near the hide. On returning to the car park I caught a glimpse of a warbler actively feeding in some trees behind the pay area. Reaching for my bins I couldn't believe it...a very smart male Wood Warbler! Knowing that the local SBR listers would be interested I had a frantic twenty minutes calling various birding friends and before long a couple had arrived...but the bird had gone missing. We eventually heard it sing and as I left it was still present. I have since found out that it is the only the third record of Wood Warbler for Sutton Bingham Reservoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment